We partnered up with @cookingwithchow to create a delicious recipe using Edo’s Signature Teriyaki Sauce. Enjoy her Teriyaki Spam Musubi!
If you’ve travelled to Hawaii, you can recall that Spam musubi is a staple there. It’s the perfect treat for either a road trip to North Shore, a morning after a sunrise surf, or simply a treat to grab-and-go. Seasoned sushi rice with lightly seared Spam and coated with Edo Japan’s delicious Teriyaki Sauce makes this musubi a delicious quick and easy snack.
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 15 Minutes
Serving size: 6
- 2 cups washed sushi rice
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 can of low-sodium Spam, cut into 7-8 equal pieces
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp Edo Japan’s Teriyaki Sauce
- Sliced Japanese yellow pickled radish (Takuan)
- Nori seaweed sheet cut into 1.5” long strips
- Wash and rinse sushi rice until the water drains clear.
- Cooking Options: Stove top: Combine rice and water into a pot. Simmer for 20 minutes. Instant pot: Combine rice and water into pot. Manual High Pressure for 10 minutes. Natural release for 10 minutes.
- Season the sushi rice
- Combine rice vinegar, salt, and sugar into the cooked rice. Fluff the rice with a fork. Set aside.
- Pan-fry the Spam
- Heat up a skillet on medium heat, add in 1 tsp of oil. Cook Spam slices on each side for 2-3 minutes until lightly charred.
- Combine Teriyaki sauce
- Add in 2 tbsp of Edo Japan’s Teriyaki sauce to the skillet. Cover and coat the Spam pieces. Continue to cook for another 2 minutes until the sauce evaporates. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add sushi rice into the musubi mold (you can use the Spam tin can) until it’s about 1 – 1.5” tall. Press down firmly with the back of a spoon so that the rice is compressed.
- Layer in 1 piece of Spam on top of the rice. Additionally, you can add in other toppings such as sliced Japanese pickled yellow radish, kimchi, or tamago.
- Carefully remove from the mold.
- Wrap with 1 piece of cut nori. Seal nori edges with some water.
Enjoy and serve warm! If you’re not eating right away, wrap with saran wrap to keep moist and fresh.